Bad breath is certainly something that can put off the person right next to you. We don’t want the person we are conversing with to feel uncomfortable. But don’t worry. There are various remedies that may help you get rid of bad breath. First, we need to understand the causes of bad breath and then we can talk about bad breath remedies. Knowing the causes will help us better manage the breath smell.
Why Have I Got Bad Breath?
Good news! Bad breath isn’t usually due to any underlying health condition. In most cases, it is due to poor oral hygiene.
Not brushing or flossing daily is one of the major and the most common causes of the bad breath. That’s why people who don’t take care of their oral health usually have bad breath. But this isn’t all, there are a few other reasons that make your breath smell bad. Let’s go through them one by one :
- Tobacco Products : Smoking is overall a bad thing and when it comes to its side effects, it is not just one. One of the many side effects of smoking is getting a bad breath. The reason is simple and easily understandable. Smoking causes its own unpleasant order and not just this it also causes several gum diseases that in turn also cause bad breath.
- Food : This may surprise you but the food you eat can also lead to bad breath. The breakdown of food particles around your teeth can increase the bacterial growth and can cause a very unpleasant and foul odor. Another thing pertinent to mention is that there are some foods that can cause bad breath. These foods include onions, garlic, and spices. Hence one of the best ways of safeguarding yourself from the bad breath in a decent gathering is to make better food choices.
- Dry Mouth: There is a condition called Dry Mouth or Xerostomia that can contribute to our bad breath. We need to understand the fact that the saliva present in our mouth cleanses our mouth removing particles that cause bad breath. The condition (Xerostomia) decreases the production of saliva and hence contributes in causing bad breath. Dry mouth usually occurs during night causing “Morning Breath” which worsens our condition.
- Medications: If you are on medications for any reason, you are most likely to get bad breath. The reason being that many medicines contribute in developing dry mouth while the others break down in the body and release several chemicals that get carried to your mouth becoming another reason causing bad breath.
- Mouth Infections: If you have recently got your tooth extracted, you are most likely to get a bad breath. The reason being any surgical wounds eg., oral surgery, tooth decay, gum diseases, mouth sores etc lead to bad breath very prominently. Hence, if you don’t want bad breath to malign your reputation, make sure that you take good care of your oral health.
What Are The Bad Breath Remedies?
There are many other reasons for bad breath that include oral cancers, metabolic disorders, chronic reflux of stomach acids etc that need special care by your doctor. However, there are few things you can take care of and few habits you can switch to for a healthy oral hygiene and fresh breath.
- The first and the foremost thing for having better oral health and hygiene is to make a habit of brushing at least twice a day. If you are someone who has to spend a lot of time at your workplace, you should keep a separate toothbrush there as well also, make a habit of using dental floss on a regular basis. This is one the basic and best bad breath remedies.
- Brushing your tongue is equally important as brushing your teeth. Make a habit of using a tongue cleaner and you will see the results very soon.
- If you are having any dentures or dental appliances implanted in your mouth, make sure that you clean them on a daily basis or as prescribed by your dentist. This will help you get better oral hygiene and will prevent you from producing bad breath.
- Smoking is never a good choice and when it comes to bad breath, this becomes one of the biggest factors for it. As already discussed above, it leads to severe bad breath. Therefore, if you want to not have it, quit smoking. You may find it very difficult to say goodbye to it but trust me, it isn’t as difficult as it seems and definitely not at the cost of your life.
- Make better eating choices. Don’t go for the foods that cause odor in your mouth especially when you are going out for a party or any other social gathering. Also, make sure that you clean your mouth properly after eating anything. This will help you prevent bad breath to a great extent.
- Make sure that you don’t keep a toothbrush for a longer duration. This will also help you not get a bad breath.
- Schedule your dental check ups regularly for better oral health. This will prevent you from developing any oral conditions that may lead to bad breath in future.
These are some of the home remedies for bad breath which can help you live with dignity viz a viz with a better oral health and without bad breaths. We hope that by now you have gotten a fair idea about the causes and remedies of it. Take these things seriously and see the good things happening.